Sunday, October 17, 2010

Welcome to the world Elliott Ethan Zmoos!
Born October 8, 2010 at 3:56pm 7lbs 5.6oz 21in



I guess his birth story starts about 2 weeks before he was born... During those two weeks I had 4 nights of regular contractions. One night we even went to the hospital. We discovered that I was 3 1/2 cm dilated and 60% effaced and they stripped my membranes. Nothing changed, so they sent me home. After two days and absolutely no contractions, I went to my regular doctors appointment and I was 5 cm dilated and 80% effaced. Since I wasn't feeling contractions and was already at 5 cm, the doctor suggested we induce.

So the next morning we headed to the hospital. At 8:30 I was still 5 cm and 80% so they ruptured my membranes after 3 hours of little contractions still no change... so we started the dreaded pitocin! I handled it well for about an hour then at 6cm and 80%, called for the epidural. The contractions were pretty painful so I prayed that I could have a rest from the contractions so that I could stay still for the epidural. Thankfully I only had one during the whole procedure. Luckily I got the epidural just in time, right before it kicked in I had a contraction that made me unable to catch my breath, cry, and shake. Boy was I grateful for epidurals! 2 hours later I started feeling pressure, it was time... 10cm and fully effaced. Two contractions later Elliott was born. The experience was completely different from Maddy. With Maddy by the end I was exhausted in pain and could barely hold her. With Elliott I could actually feel him being born and was so happy to hold him and even breastfeed him in the first hour. It was amazing. All I could do was cry and say thank you.



I had to include this pic of Maddy with her baby brother! They are practically twins!

The next day Karen, Mike, and Maddy came for a visit. Boy oh boy does Maddy love baby brother Elliott.



Things have been great at home. My mom had flown out and is helping. Elliott is a wonderful, patient little guy. And thank goodness, a good nurser. I'm healing up pretty quick and feeling good. We even enjoyed the beautiful weather and went on a family walk.



Maddy absolutely loves Elliott. She wakes up asking for him, helps change his diaper, and likes to snuggle and pet him! We are so grateful for a our little family.



7 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh Liz he is so beautiful. I just about died from cuteness seeing him suck his thumb already. It is so sweet to see all of you together. Congratulations again, and I am keeping my fingers crossed to have a better deliver the second go around like you did! Hope you keep feeling better and better! (cute name bytheway, I guess I better put it on our list...j/k!)

Joyce said...

oh no you have a thump sucker!

Chelsea said...

Congratulations again! He is a very handsome little guy!

maugers said...

YEA! congrats Lizzy. he's adorable, and I'm so glad the birth went so well. I thought it might be long and drawn-out considering it started two weeks early!

Mrs. Olsen said...

Congratulations! He's so cute! It's exciting to see if he and Maddy will always look alike or if they will change as they grow older. I'm glad things are going smoothly!

Catherine said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Liz!! I've been so bad about blogging, but was excited to read your blog and catch up! He's such a cutie!!!

Jenn said...

Okay I know I'm a nerd for commenting twice, but I just wanted to drop you a line to say I hope everything is going good and that you're catching some naps occasionally! I remember feeling lost in babyland when Maddy was first born, so I just wanted you to know someone was thinking of you!